Episode 38: Stanford University sleep researcher Dan Pardi talks about how sleep affects EVERYTHING, circadian biology and the importance of light and dark cycles.
Dan is an entrepreneur and researcher whose life’s work is centered on how to facilitate health behaviors in others. He is the developer of Loop Model to Sustain Health Behaviors to help people live a healthy lifestyle in a modern world. He does research with the Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences Department at Stanford, and the Departments of Neurology and Endocrinology at Leiden University in the Netherlands.
His current research looks at how sleep influences decision making (publications). Dan also works with Naval Special Warfare to help the most elite fighters in the world maintain vigilant performance in both combat and non-combat conditions.
In this episode we discuss:
- The difference between sleep restriction and sleep deprivation
- The price to our health of voluntary sleep curtailment
- Why we are cutting back on our sleep
- What is the optimal amount of time to sleep?
- The importance of timing, intensity and duration to create optimal sleep
- Polyphasic sleep
- Our master clock and clock genes
- Chronotypes: Early birds vs. night owls
- iPad insomnia – the effect of blue light entering the eye
- Why timing of blue light is very important for health
- Circadian rhythms and mismatches with our environment
- Sleep pressure vs. Wake Drive
- Effect of caffeine on sleep quality
- How’s Dan’s Plan can help you create healthful behaviours
Pingback: Resolutions # 1: Sleep | Nourish Strength
Pingback: Lessons from my 2014 health practice report | Dan's Plan
Pingback: SNR #61 – Dr. Kirk Parsley – Optimal Performance Through Sleep | Sigma Nutrition
Pingback: SNR #68: Stephan Guyenet – Overeating, Fat Mass Regulation & Energy Homeostasis | Sigma Nutrition
Pingback: SNR #69: Dr. Brian Wansink – Mindless Eating, Food Behaviour & How To Design Your Food Environment | Sigma Nutrition
Pingback: SNR 73: Borge Fagerli – Circadian Rhythms & Nutrient Timing | Sigma Nutrition
Pingback: SNR #75: Armi Legge – The Reality of Dieting, Building Habits & Staying in Shape Whilst Travelling | Sigma Nutrition
Pingback: Weekly BrainGainz (3/10/15)
Pingback: SNR #91: Effect of Sleep on Appetite Regulation, Food Choices & Glucose Metabolism | Sigma Nutrition
Pingback: How Improving sleep can enhance life quality. – Muscle 2 Mind
Pingback: Touch The Minds & Hearts Issue #1: WHAT I’VE READ, WATCHED AND LISTENED TO OVER THE PAST WEEK COLLATED FOR YOU IN ONE PLACE | ShenTeeFit
Pingback: Kevin Shields Fitness » Top 5 Health Reads Of The Week – 8/21/17 - Kevin Shields Fitness
Pingback: Kevin Shields Fitness » Top 5 Health Reads Of The Week – 8/27/17 - Kevin Shields Fitness
Pingback: SNR 213: Greg Potter – Chronobiology & Chrononutrition (Research Breakdown) | Sigma Nutrition & Performance