SNR #65: Lyle McDonald – Fat Loss Adaptations, Water Retention & Leptin
Episode 65: Lyle McDonald is on the show to discuss the metabolic adaptations that take place when dieting, the connection between cortisol and water retention and the role of leptin in dieting and weight regain.
Guest BioLyle McDonald
Lyle McDonald is the author of the Ketogenic Diet, the Rapid Fat Loss Handbook and the Guide to Flexible Dieting. He has been interested in all aspects of human performance physiology since becoming involved in competitive sports as a teenager. Pursuing a degree in Physiological Sciences from UCLA, he has spent almost 20 years of his life studying human physiology and the science, art and practice of human performance, muscle gain, fat loss and body recomposition. Over the years, in addition to working with the general public, Lyle has worked primarily with endurance athletes, a few powerlifters, and some bodybuilders. Through his books, articles and his forum, he has helped thousands lose fat, gain muscle and get stronger or perform better.
In this episode we discuss:
- Metabolic adaptations to dieting
- Low calories + lots of cardio = no weight loss??? What’s actually going on
- The connection between cortisol and water retention
- The central role of leptin in bodyweight regulation
- Leptin resistance
- Effects of lowered calories on leptin
- Gender differences in hormonal responses to dieting
- Carbohydrate refeeds: Can they mitigate leptin drops?
- Which of Lyle’s books should YOU read?