Adrian Brown, PhD, RD
Dr Adrian Brown is a NIHR Lecturer and Research Fellow in the Centre of Obesity Research at University College London. He is also a senior Specialist Weight Management and Bariatric dietitian with over 15 years of clinical experience and a PhD in Medicine from Imperial College London.
His research interests centre around obesity, type 2 diabetes, bariatric surgery, weight stigma and the use of formula-based diets in different patient populations. He is an Honorary Academic for Public Health England Obesity and Healthy Weight Team, on the strategic council for APPG on Obesity and is on the scientific council of the British Nutrition Foundation.
In this episode we discuss:
- Remission should be seen as a goal for those with T2DM
- The factors that influence the ability to be able to achieve remission
- Interventions that can achieve remission
- Low-energy diet (meal replacement) trials
- How people with type 2 diabetes who are on insulin are affected
- The translation of interventions into practice
Links & Resources
- Click here to join the email list to receive our weekly Sigma Synopsis emails
- Twitter: @BrownAdey
- Brown et al., 2021 - Dietary strategies for remission of type 2 diabetes: A narrative review
- Brown et al., 2020 - Low-energy total diet replacement intervention in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and obesity treated with insulin: a randomized trial
- Brown & Flint, 2021 - Preferences and emotional response to weight-related terminology used by healthcare professionals to describe body weight in people living with overweight and obesity
- Episode #294: Nicola Guess, PhD, RD – Prediabetes & Type 2 Diabetes Nutrition
- Episode #331: Prof. Roy Taylor – Diabetes Remission, Very-low Calorie Diets & the Twin Cycle Hypothesis
- Episode #385: Insulin Resistance & Diet
Support the Podcast
If you regularly enjoy listening to Sigma Nutrition Radio and you'd like to take your support even further, then you can officially support the podcast by either making a one-time donation or via a recurring payment. If you wish to do so then you can do so here.
Thank you for considering!