Today's Topic in Focus: [03:45]
In this episode Danny & Alan discuss the impacts of nitrates and nitrites on health. They look at the beneficial impacts of dietary nitrate, as well as issues around nitrites in processed meat.
- Nitrate Veg-Table - Satnam Lidder and Andrew Webb
- Green et al., 1981 - Nitrate biosynthesis in man
- Leaf et al., 1989 - L-arginine is a precursor for nitrate biosynthesis in humans
- Torregrossa et al., 2011 - Nitric oxide and geriatrics: Implications in diagnostics and treatment of the elderly
- Lidder & Webb, 2013 - Vascular effects of dietary nitrate (as found in green leafy vegetables and beetroot) via the nitrate-nitrite-nitric oxide pathway
- Kapil et al., 2013 - Physiological role for nitrate-reducing oral bacteria in blood pressure control
Quack Asylum [48:08]
Max Lugavere - Ill-informed, clueless posts about nutrition science.
Random Recommendations [55:27]
Alan's Recommendation: @beauofthefifth Instagram account
Fan of the Podcast?
If you regularly enjoy listening to Sigma Nutrition Radio and you'd like to take your support even further, then you can officially support the podcast by either making a one-time donation or via a recurring payment. If you wish to do so then you can do so here.
Thank you for considering!