Today's Topic in Focus: Weight Regain vs Weight Loss Maintenance [02:56]
Pownall et al., 2015 - Changes in Body Composition over Eight Years in a Randomized Trial of a Lifestyle Intervention: The Look AHEAD Study
Purcell et al., 2014 - The effect of rate of weight loss on long-term weight management: a randomised controlled trial
- Thomas et al., 2014 - Weight-loss maintenance for 10 years in the National Weight Control Registry
"I Have a Question!" [58:56]
Today's listener question: "How does the ApoE4 allele affect lipid metabolism? And how should someone structure their diet around having one or both alleles due to it resulting in higher LDL-C than someone without the gene?"
Quack Asylum [63:09]
Nutrition recommendations without any evidence, given by Dr. Mary Ryan between 19 and 22 minutes of this podcast episode.
Non-evidence-based claims made in that discussion [with time-stamps]:
- [19.30] In reference to drinking water in the morning: "As women, we've a slower metabolism... so we need to get it going"
- [20.01] "Sugar is toxic"
- [21.20] "You can only have two slices of bread and that's it."
- [21.27] "It's all about getting circadian rhythm in the bowel, so you have to eat little and often to keep the metabolism going."
- [21.42] Eating little and often is important "particularly in women, as we've a slow metabolism, and we need to trigger it".
- [21.50] Only eat carrots, parsnips and turnips (the root vegetables) at the weekend, as they store sugar. Just have green veg at dinner during the week.
Random Recommendations [76:35]
- Cynical Theories : How Activist Scholarship Made Everything about Race, Gender, and Identity--And Why This Harms Everybody - Plcukrose & Lindsay
- Helen Pluckrose: The Evolution of Postmodern Thought
Fan of the Podcast?
If you regularly enjoy listening to Sigma Nutrition Radio, then you can get even more out of your podcast listening by subscribing to Sigma Nutrition Premium!
- Detailed, 'done-for-you' study notes
- Bonus post-episode "key ideas" segments
- Premium-exclusive episodes
- Episode transcripts
- Discounts on Sigma events and products