Mike Israetel, PhD
Dr. Mike Israetel is the cofounder of Renaissance Periodization, holds a PhD in Sport Physiology from East Tennessee State University.
Currently a professor in the strength and hypertrophy masters program at Lehman College, Mike has taught several courses at multiple universities, including Nutrition for Public Health, Advanced Sports Nutrition and Exercise, and Nutrition and Behavior.
Originally from Moscow, Russia, he has worked as a consultant on sports nutrition to the U.S. Olympic Training Site in Johnson City, TN, and has been an invited speaker at numerous scientific and performance/health conferences worldwide. Mike is himself a competitive bodybuilder and professional Brazilian Jiu Jitsu grappler.
In this episode we discuss:
- Mike's experiences with his most recent contest prep
- Overcoming unexpected obstacles along the path to a goal
- Accepting reality and avoiding irrational frustration
- Differences in dieting strategies and lower vs. higher body fat levels
- Is "gaintaining" a good approach to muscle gain?
- Mike's culinary skills and Michelin-star meals he posts on his Instagram
Links & Resources
Support the Podcast
If you regularly enjoy listening to Sigma Nutrition Radio and you'd like to take your support even further, then you can officially support the podcast by either making a one-time donation or via a recurring payment. If you wish to do so then you can do so here.
Thank you for considering!