Episode 100: To mark the 100 episode milestone, I chat with my good friend Ciaran O’ Regan. Ciaran is a sports scientist, strength & conditioning coach and a heavyweight amateur boxer.
Ciaran O’ Regan
Ciaran is a strength & conditioning coach with an undergraduate degree in Sports & Exercise Science from the University of Limerick. He has worked with elite athletes in various sports such as swimming and rugby, including spending time coaching at Connacht Rugby.
Ciaran’s real passion is combat sports, having won provincial championships in amateur boxing. He is a native of Limerick, Ireland but more recently has been based in Boston, MA.
In this episode we discuss:
- Principles vs. Methods
- The learning process: Focusing on the process vs. focusing on outcomes
- Confirmation bias and self-selection of viewpoints
- Focusing on the minutia of nutrition – missing the forest for the trees
- Specific Adaptation to Imposed Demands (SAID)
- What makes a great coach? – Lessons from Greg Jackson, John Kavanagh & Mark Dellagrotte
- Musashi’s Book of 5 Rings as an operating system for life
- Using different training modalities with athletes
- The importance of not speaking in absolutes in fitness and sports science
- Personality differences & personality profiling in coaching practice
Links & Resources:Click Here to Download Ciaran’s recommended book list
Follow Ciaran on Instagram: ct_quarrelsome