Nathan Bryan, PhD
Dr. Nathan Bryan, PhD is an Adjunct Assistant Professor at Baylor College of Medicine. Dr. Bryan has been involved in nitric oxide research for the past 18 years and has made many seminal discoveries in the field. He was the first to demonstrate and discover an endocrine function of nitric oxide via the formation of S-nitrosoglutathione and inorganic nitrite.
Dr. Bryan obtained his doctoral degree from Louisiana State University School of Medicine in Shreveport where he was the recipient of the Dean’s Award for Excellence in Research. He pursued his post-doctoral training as a Kirschstein Fellow at Boston University School of Medicine in the Whitaker Cardiovascular Institute. After a two year post-doctoral fellowship, in 2006 Dr. Bryan was recruited to join faculty at the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston by Ferid Murad, M.D., Ph.D., 1998 Nobel Laureate in Medicine or Physiology.
In this episode we discuss:
- What NO does within the body
- Endogenous production of NO: Nitrate-Nitrite-NO pathway and the Oxidation of L-arginine (NOS) pathway
- NO loss and atherosclerosis
- Causes of low NO
- Impact of mouthwash and antacid
- Clinical consequences of low NO production
- How do we restore normal NO production?
- Nutrition interventions
- Do “NO producing” supplements actually work?
Links & Resources
- Click here to join the email list to receive our weekly Sigma Synopsis emails
- Dr. Bryan's Website
- List of research publications: ResearchGate
- Instagram: @drnathansbryan
- Episode #397: Dietary Nitrates & Nitrites
- Rossman et al., 2021 - Inorganic Nitrite Supplementation Improves Endothelial Function With Aging: Translational Evidence for Suppression of Mitochondria-Derived Oxidative Stress
- Woodward et al., 2019 - Sodium Nitrite Supplementation Improves Vascular Endothelial Function but not Motor or Cognitive Function in Middle-Aged and Older Adults
- Bryan et al., 2017 - Oral Microbiome and Nitric Oxide: the Missing Link in the Management of Blood Pressure
- DeVan et al., 2016 - Effects of sodium nitrite supplementation on vascular function and related small metabolite signatures in middle-aged and older adults
- Nuñez de González et al., 2015 - A survey of nitrate and nitrite concentrations in conventional and organic-labeled raw vegetables at retail
Support the Podcast
If you regularly enjoy listening to Sigma Nutrition Radio and you'd like to take your support even further, then you can officially support the podcast by either making a one-time donation or via a recurring payment. If you wish to do so then you can do so here.
Thank you for considering!