Episode 39: Director of Examine.com, Kamal Patel, is on the show to discuss research methodology, how to think about research, the hierarchy of evidence and how we can use all this to decide what potential diet and supplement decisions we can take.
Kamal Patel is the director at Examine.com. He is a nutrition researcher with an MPH and MBA from Johns Hopkins University, and is on hiatus from a PhD in nutrition in which he researched the link between diet and chronic pain.
He has published peer-reviewed articles on vitamin D and calcium as well as a variety of clinical research topics. Kamal has also been involved in research on fructose and liver health, mindfulness meditation, and nutrition in low income areas.
In this episode we discuss:
- What non-academics need to be aware of with regards to scientific research and the publication process.
- Common pitfalls when people attempt to interpret research
- Research methodology
- The hierarchy of evidence
- The downside of being overly reliant on meta-analyses
- Issues with different study types
- How can research methodology issues affect people’s diet and supplement decisions?
- Publication bias
- Focusing on the important things vs. getting caught up in the small details
- The future of nutrition: genetic testing, microbiome sequencing, nutrigenomics, etc.