In this episode we discuss:
Today's Topic in Focus: Inflammation & Diet
- Defining inflammation
- Acute vs. chronic inflammation
- Local vs. systemic inflammation
- Does inflammation "cause" chronic disease?
- Does a poor diet cause chronic inflammation?
- Are some diets "anti-inflammatory"?
- Specific nutrients and claims of causing inflammation: PUFA, sugar, dairy, wheat, etc.
- The Dietary Inflammatory Index (DII)
- Sydney Diet Heart Study
- Commentary on: Minnesota Coronary Experiment
I Have a Question!
Today's Member Question: "Is the carcinogenic risk of this high enough that I should be throwing them away and starting again?
- International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC)
- EFSA: Chemicals in Food (2016)
- Burch et al., 2008 - The effects of low‐temperature potato storage and washing and soaking pre‐treatments on the acrylamide content of French fries
The Quack Asylum
Being consigned to the Quack Asylum in this episode is... "Leveraging-COVID-to-further-my-diet-idealogy"
Alan's Random Recommendation
Danny's Random Recommendation
Ocean - John Butler (2012 Studio Version)
John Butler is the guitarist and vocalist for John Butler Trio, an Australian roots/rock band from Fremantle, Western Australia. This special re-recording of Ocean was captured in John Butler's studio, 'The Compound'.
Fan of the Podcast?
If you regularly enjoy listening to Sigma Nutrition Radio, I'd love if you could take a moment to consider showing your support.
First, if you could leave a review on Apple Podcasts that would help the show a lot and I get to read every single one of them!
Then if you'd like to take your support even further, then you can officially support the podcast on Patreon. You can pledge $1 per episode, and cancel at any time. All the money goes into providing transcripts of all the podcasts and supporting materials.
Thank you for considering!