Table of Contents
The endocrine system plays a central role in growth, development, metabolism, reproduction, and physical well-being throughout life. Hormones interact in complex networks, orchestrating a range of critical functions. Over the life course, we experience various changes in hormone levels, fluctuations, patterns, and actions. Additionally, lifestyle factors and disease processes can impact the levels and functions of hormones.
In this episode, Dr. Nicky Keay, a medical doctor with expertise in the field of exercise endocrinology, is on the podcast to discuss a variety of endocrine-related issues, including: hormone diurnal variation, bone health, amenorrhoea, HRT, perimenopause, and thinking about hormones and aging.
Nicky Keay, MB BChir
Nicky Keay is a medical doctor with expertise in the field of exercise endocrinology. Graduating from Cambridge University, she is an Honorary Clinical Lecturer in the Division of Medicine, University College London. Nicky’s clinical and research endocrine work is particularly with exercisers, dancers and athletes, with a focus on relative energy deficiency in sport (RED-S) and with women experiencing perimenopause and menopause.
- Hormones are not “good” or “bad” – but should be viewed as context-dependent
- Èndocrinology is complex. Many hormones interacting in many complex networks.
- How fetal factors and the maternal environment can shape the status and profile of each axis differently at birth
- Diurnal variation of different hormones, e.g. cortisol
- NICE recently updated the guidelines for the management of bone health in the situation of amenorrhoea with low oestrogen
- Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) vs. the combined oral contraceptive pill (COCP)
- Titrating the type and dose of HRT for the individual women is very important
- Body identical HRT vs. “bioidentical” HRT
- Hormonal changes that occur with aging
- For study notes, transcript and key ideas: Subscribe to Premium
- Dr. Keay’s website: nickykeayfitness.com
- Dr. Keay’s new book: Hormones, Health & Human Potential
- Sigma live event in Berlin on November 26th: Tickets and details
Detailed Study Notes