M. Rizwan Sohail, MD
Dr. Rizwan Sohail is an infectious disease specialist based at the Mayo Clinic, where he holds a joint appointment with the divisions of Infectious Diseases and Cardiovascular Diseases.
He completed his internship and residency in internal medicine at Michael Reese Hospital in Chicago and then a Fellowship in infectious diseases at the Mayo Clinic.
In This Episode We Discuss
- Distinguishing between COVID-19 (disease) and the actual novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV2)
- What is different about this specific coronavirus compared to others
- This coronavirus has a respiratory droplet transmission
- The difference between respiratory droplet and airbourne transmission
- Time from exposure to SARS-CoV-2 to symptom
- The disease mechanism
- Current case reports on those hospitalized
- In those who have recovered, do we know yet whether they can be reinfected or if they have established immunity?
- Is the severity of the disease impacted by the length or magnitude of the exposure?
- On average, for someone infected how many people will they likely infect.
- How it compares to other viruses in terms of lethality and transmissibility
- Why social distancing (and potentially self- isolation) is so important
- Impact on healthcare system
- Mortality rate is not inherent to the virus alone, but mediated by how the healthcare system holds up, as well as population demographics, etc.
- Response needed now: a) public health/governmental; b) individuals (context dependent)
Links & Resources
Fan of the Podcast?
If you regularly enjoy listening to Sigma Nutrition Radio, I’d love if you could take a moment to consider showing your support.
First, if you could leave a review on iTunes that would help the show a lot and I get to read every single one of them!
Then if you’d like to take your support even further, then you can officially support the podcast on Patreon. You can pledge $1 per episode, and cancel at any time. All the money goes into providing transcripts of all the podcasts and supporting materials.
Thank you for considering!