Episode 192: Australian Institute of Sport recovery physiologist Dr. Shona Halson discusses her exciting work look at performance, fatigue and immunity in elite athletes.
Shona Halson, PhD
Dr Shona Halson is the Senior Recovery Physiologist at the Australian Institute of Sport and an Associate Editor of the International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance. Her work involves providing athletes with advice and assistance to minimise fatigue and maximise recovery, she is responsible for conducting applied research to evaluate techniques to reduce fatigue and increase recovery. Shona has worked closely with the Australian Dolphins and their specific preparation for the Rio Olympics. Shona has a wealth of experience in the area of fatigue and recovery and she spent a number of years working as the Recovery Centre Director for the Australian Olympic Committee.
In This Episode We Discuss:
- Periodization of recovery
- Cold water immersion and constrast water therapy for recovery
- Do recovery strategies have the potential to negatively impact adaptive responses to training?
- Athlete perception and “belief” in recovery modalities
- The importance of hydrostatic pressure: implications for hydrotherapy practice
- Effectively monitoring fatigue in athletes to assess training load and recovery
Links & Resources
- Stephens et al., 2017 – Cold-Water Immersion for Athletic Recovery: One Size Does Not Fit All
- Stephens et al., 2017 – Influence of body composition on physiological responses to post-exercise hydrotherapy
- Halson, 2014 – Monitoring training load to understand fatigue in athletes
- Halson, 2014 – Sleep in elite athletes and nutritional interventions to enhance sleep
- Versey et al., 2013 – Water immersion recovery for athletes: effect on exercise performance and practical recommendations
- Crowther et al., 2017 – Team sport athletes’ perceptions and use of recovery strategies: a mixed-methods survey study
- Argus et al., 2016 – Cold Water Immersion and Contrast Water Therapy Do Not Improve Short-Term Recovery Following Resistance Training
- Shona Halson – Twitter
- Mac-Nutrition Uni Online Nutrition Course
- Sigma Weight Cutting System
Enjoy this episode?
- SNR #182: Reid Reale, PhD – Research on Water Loading & Making Weight Practices in Combat Sport
- SNR #145: Ian Dunican, PhD – Sleep, Training Timing & Performance in Elite Athletes
- SNR #143: Keith Baar, PhD – Tendon Stiffness, Collagen Production & Gelatin for Performance & Injury
Interested in doing an online nutrition course? Here’s what I recommend… MNU Course Details