How To Listen
Carl Juneau, PhD
Carl is an exercise scientist with a PhD in physical activity epidemiology. He is also the founder of the Dr. Muscle app.
In This Episode We Discuss
- Theory of effective reps
- Influence of mechanical tension, muscle damage and metabolic stress on hypertrophy
- Does metabolic stress really cause hypertrophy? Or is it just a by-product of mechanical tension?
- Methods to make use of a higher number of effective reps: rest-pause, myo-reps, drop sets, etc.
- Exercise selection for such methods
- Role of rest intervals: the U-shaped curve developed by Carl Juneau and James Krieger
- How strategies change with experience level
Links & Resources
- Dr. Muscle App
- Carl Juneau on Facebook
- Schoenfeld, 2010 – The mechanisms of muscle hypertrophy and their application to resistance training
- Schoenfeld et al., 2016 – Longer Interset Rest Periods Enhance Muscle Strength and Hypertrophy in Resistance-Trained Men
- Prestes et al., 2017 – Strength And Muscular Adaptations Following 6 Weeks Of Rest-Pause Versus Traditional Multiple-Sets Resistance Training In Trained Subjects
Enjoy This Episode?