Episode 70: Douglas Kalman, PhD is the performance nutritionist for the Blackzilians team based in Florida. He is also an academic and co-founder of the International Society of Sports Nutrition.
Guest BioDouglas Kalman, PhD.
Dr. Kalman has been involved in over 100 clinical trials and projects within the pharmaceutical, medical and nutrition fields. He has published over 50 abstracts and more than 25 peer-reviewed manuscripts. He is also a Co-Editor of one journal (JISSN) and on the Editorial Board of three Scientific Journals.
Dr. Kalman received his Doctorate in exercise and nutritional biochemistry. He is the co-founder of The International Society of Sports Nutrition. He has worked with Olympic athletes, professional athletes (i.e., MLB, NFL, NBA), and combat sports fighters (including working with the famous MMA team, Blackzillians).
Dr. Kalman has edited four academic textbooks, contributed to more than five academic textbooks as well as two “popular press” books. Dr. Kalman is an Adjunct Professor teaching Graduate Sports Nutrition at Florida International University (FIU), Miami, Florida.
In this episode we discuss:
- Importance of evidence-based practice in sports nutrition
- Biggest mistake most athletes are making nutritionally
- Low-carb diets: Applications and mistakes
- MMA Nutrition: Principles of good nutrition for MMA fighters
- Nutritional periodization: how the diet changes from off-season, to in-camp to fight week
- Weight cutting: Evidence-based protocols vs. out-dated, traditional approaches
- Recommended resources for athletes and aspiring sports nutritionists
Links & Resources:
Doug’s Recommended Reading List:
- The Real Vitamin and Mineral Book, 4th edition: The Definitive Guide to Designing Your Personal Supplement Program
- Performance Nutrition: Applying the Science of Nutrient Timing
- Nutrition Periodization for Athletes: Taking Traditional Sports Nutrition to the Next Level
- Power Eating 4e
- The Nutrient Timing for Peak Performance
- Advanced Sports Nutrition-2nd Edition
- Nutrition for Health, Fitness & Sport
- Sports Nutrition & Performance Enhancing Supplements
- Exercise & Sport Nutrition: Principles, Promises, Science, & Recommendations
- Essentials of Sports Nutrition and Supplements