Nicola Guess, PhD, RD
Nicola Guess is a Registered Dietitian with a PhD in the dietary management of prediabetes from Imperial College London. She is currently Head of the Nutrition Unit at Dasman Diabetes Institute (DDI) in Kuwait. Nicola is a research fellow at King’s College London where her research focuses on the role of diet in the prevention and management of type 2 diabetes.
She has a particular interest in the use of low-carbohydrate diets in the management of type 2 diabetes, and leads a research programme investigating dietary modification – including increasing protein or the use of very-low-calorie-diets – on the factors underlying type 2 diabetes.
Nicola received her Registered Dietitian qualification in the United States which included clinical rotations at the Baylor College of Medicine, and world-famous Weight Management Clinic at the Methodist Hospital in Houston, Texas.
Nicola’s expertise in the area of diet and type 2 diabetes is well recognised. She is currently a National Institute of Clinical Excellence (NICE) Guidelines Expert Adviser and was a Diabetes UK Research Fellow. She sits on the Diabetes UK Clinical Guidelines Committee which sets priorities for diabetes research in the UK; is a panel member of the Royal College of General Practitioners Lifestyle Group and was previously a topic expert on the NICE Guidelines Committee for the Prevention of Type 2 Diabetes.
In This Episode We Discuss
- Type 2 diabetes as a progressive disease
- Declining beta-cell function
- Relationship between insulin resistance and decline in beta-cell function
- Two types of prediabetes: a) elevated fasting BG but normal OGTT, b) normal fasting BG but elevated 2 hour OGTT
- Postprandial glucose excursions
- Can type 2 diabetes be reversed? Remission vs. reversal
- Diabetes Remission Clinical Trial (DiRECT)
- VIRTA health trial
- Nutritional interventions: weight loss, carbohydrate restriction, fasting, etc.
- Weight loss: why does it lead to remission or improvement in biomarkers?
- Best blood markers to monitor?
Links & Resources
Fan of the Podcast?
If you regularly enjoy listening to Sigma Nutrition Radio, I’d love if you could take a moment to consider showing your support.
First, if you could leave a review on iTunes that would help the show a lot and I get to read every single one of them!
Then if you’d like to take your support even further, then you can officially support the podcast on Patreon. You can pledge $1 per episode, and cancel at any time. All the money goes into providing transcripts of all the podcasts and supporting materials.
Thank you for considering!