Episode 24: Dr. Abbie Smith-Ryan is on the show to talk about performance-enhancing supplementation, high intensity training and the metabolic adaptations to chronic low-calorie dieting.
Abbie Smith-Ryan, PhD
Abbie Smith, PhD, CSCS, CISSN completed her undergraduate work at Truman State University, her MS (2008) and PhD (2011) from the University of Oklahoma. During her brief time in academia, she has published 62 peer-reviewed manuscripts, one book, 10 book chapters, and has spoken at 18 National and International Conferences.
Her research interests centre around exercise and nutrition interventions to modify various aspects of body composition, cardiovascular health, and metabolic function. She is an active researcher in the field of sport nutrition and exercise performance, in both healthy and clinical populations.
Some of her primary work has focused on high-intensity interval training, beta-alanine, and creatine supplementation. Abbie’s research interests center around exercise and nutrition interventions to modify various aspects of body composition, cardiovascular health, and metabolic function in obese, elderly, and women.
She is an active researcher in the field of sport nutrition and exercise performance, in both young and old athletes. Some of her primary work has focused on beta-alanine, creatine, and proteins/amino acids. She is also interested in applied aspects of neuromuscular fatigue.
Dr. Smith is an active member of the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA), the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) and the International Society of Sports Nutrition (ISSN). Abbie also contributes to the field through many peer-reviewed manuscripts, scholastic book chapters and multiple International and National presentations.
In This Show We Discuss:
- Performance supplementation: HMB, beta-alanine, creatine, thermogenics and protein
- High intensity interval training
- Metabolic adaptations to chronic low-calorie dieting
- “Reverse dieting”
- Practical recommendations for improving body composition
- The state of current research and where the gaps are
Links & Resources:
- Follow Abbie on Twitter
- Metabolic adaptation to weight loss: implications for the athlete – Eric Trexler, Abbie Smith-Ryan and Layne Norton
- Research Gate – Abbie Smith-Ryan
- The Metabolic Storm – Emily Cooper
Enjoy this episode?
- SNR #24: Abbie Smith-Ryan, PhD – Performance Supplementation, High Intensity Training & Chronic Low-Calorie Dieting
- SNR #143: Keith Baar, PhD – Tendon Stiffness, Collagen Production & Gelatin for Performance & Injury
- SNR #174: Jorn Trommelen – Carbohydrate Oxidation During Exercise & Pre-Sleep Protein