Episode 176: Eric Trexler of UNC-Chapel Hill discusses some of the research on citrulline malate, dietary nitrates, beetroot/pomegranate extract and other nitric oxide “boosters” and how they may impact performance in various sports.
Eric is a PhD student at UNC Chapel Hill, under Dr. Abbie Smith-Ryan. He has a research focus on how exercise and nutrition affect metabolism, performance, and body composition. Eric comes from a background in natural bodybuilding, powerlifting, and strength coaching, and currently holds certifications in sports nutrition (CISSN) and strength and conditioning (CSCS). Eric completed his undergraduate degree at The Ohio State University, and his master’s degree at UNC Chapel Hill.
In This Episode We Discuss:
- Proposed mechanisms of action of citrulline
- Citrulline malate vs. L-citrulline
- Nitric oxide “boosters”
- Why arginine is ineffective
- Dietary nitrates and nitrate supplementation via beetroot/pomegranate
- What athletes might this work for?
- Research on cordyceps supplementation for exercise performance
Links & Resources
- Pérez-Guisado & Jakeman, 2010 – Citrulline malate enhances athletic anaerobic performance and relieves muscle soreness
- Trexler et al., 2014 – Effects of pomegranate extract on blood flow and running time to exhaustion
- Roelofs et al., 2017 – Effects of pomegranate extract on blood flow and vessel diameter after high-intensity exercise in young, healthy adults
- Wax et al., 2016 – Effects of Supplemental Citrulline-Malate Ingestion on Blood Lactate, Cardiovascular Dynamics, and Resistance Exercise Performance in Trained Males
- Wax et al., 2015 – Effects of supplemental citrulline malate ingestion during repeated bouts of lower-body exercise in advanced weightlifters
- European Powerlifting Conference 2017
- Sigma Weight Cutting System for MMA & Boxing
Enjoy this episode?
- SNR #24: Abbie Smith-Ryan, PhD – Performance Supplementation, High Intensity Training & Chronic Low-Calorie Dieting
- SNR #143: Keith Baar, PhD – Tendon Stiffness, Collagen Production & Gelatin for Performance & Injury
- SNR #174: Jorn Trommelen – Carbohydrate Oxidation During Exercise & Pre-Sleep Protein